City of Marburg

zur Schnellnavigation zum Menü zum Artikelanfang
Amöneburg, c/o Stadt Amöneburg Weidenhäuser weir, c / o Kronenberg Castle Ruins at Frauenberg, c / o Town Ebsdorfergrund Marburger attractions, c / o Kronenberg
deutsche Flaggeenglische Flaggelangue françaiseCity of Marburg.de | city map| search| contact | Impressum
Suche starten

Outings and Excursions

The Elisabeth Fountain lies on the edge of a forest near the village Schröck (neues Fenster)Elizabeth’s Fountain
In the village of Schröck,
Water well with fountain in elaborate Renaissance décor from 1596.

Amöneburg
Even from afar, you can sight the town of Amöneburg characteristically perched upon its 365 m lone massif. Not only because of the breathtaking view across the Marburg countryside are visitors attracted to this peak. Whether it be spears and flints in the museum, a stroll along the walls encircling the town, the traditional craftsmanship in the Brücker Mill, or an excursion tracing St. Boniface’ path: step-by-step you can delve into the diverse history of this town. Your eyes will feast upon the colourful traditional costumes, the intricately decorated Easter eggs and the stately towns inviting you on a voyage of discovery.

The Collegiate Church of St. John the Baptist in Amöneburg
The church, built on this basalt stump, is visible from far away, and towers over the roofs of the historical old town of Amöneburg. The Collegiate Church is from the 18th century and has been newly renovated. From this site the holy Bonifacius (the Apostle of the Germans) in 721 began his missionary activities in upper Hesse. Opposite the remains of the old fort are still to be seen.

Guided tours are possible by arrangement.
Tel. 06422/2103

Brücker Mühle in Amöneburg
The Brücker Mühle is a living cultural and industrial monument where grain has been milled since 1248. The mill can be driven by its own water-powered generator and by arrangement can be visited.
In the courtyard food and drink are available and a good assortment of bio-products can be bought in the shop. A wide range of cultural events take place in the Brücker
Mühle.
Guided tours by arrangement.
Am Friedenstein 6
Tel.: +49 (0)6422 / 850864
www.brueckermuehle.de


Trachtenmuseum Roßdorf - Museum of Traditional Dress
Here are exhibited traditional clothing that is no longer worn, also the way of life in villages, and the customs from the cradle to the grave. Viewing is by arrangement. The Catholic women‘s clothing worn for feast days with its coloured bands and richly decorated headware together with attire of the men form a centrepiece of this collection. Haus der Vereine (= clubhouse)
Zur Bornwiese 1
35287 Amöneburg
Tel.: +49 (0) 6422 / 3575
www.amoeneburg.de


Castle Ruins at Frauenberg
Along the left bank of the Lahn River, sandstone hills rise and extend to the edge of the community of Ebsdorfergrund, culminating in a natural peak upon which stand the ruins of the Castle Frauenberg (the "woman’s peak”).

In the year 1248 Sophie von Brabant, daughter of St. Elizabeth of Hungary and widow of Duke Heinrich von Brabant, came to Marburg to claim her late husband’s Thuringian inheritance. Among her opponents was also the Archbishop of Mainz who possessed Amöneburg in the vicinity of Marburg. In order to retain the landgrave’s possessions in Ebsdorfergrund, maintain control of the most important trade route to Amöneburg and counterpoise the Mainzer’s Ohm fortress, Sophie had the castle built in 1252 on the basalt peak that became commonly known as the Frauenberg, or, the "woman’s peak”. By the year 1489 the castle lay in ruins and the site was used as a quarry.

Today the site remains is a popular destination, enjoyed for its grand panorama. On clear days one has an incomparable view in all directions and can spot nearly forty villages and cities before the horizon. The vista can reach as far as the mountains Hohe Meissner or Feldberg in Taunus. Frauenberg is one of a total of seven Huguenot villages in Hesse that were founded between 1686 and 1706.

Bildbeschreibung:Castle Rauischholzhausen (neues Fenster)Rauischholzhausen
Rauischholzhausen was first mentioned 750-779 in the records of the monastery of Fulda. In 1330 it became the castle estate of the Rau of Holzhausen, who acquired it as a fief from the Archbishop of Mainz. The peasants were thus required to deliver and perform payments and services to the lords of Rau, who administered their own jurisdiction. When Hesse became Prussian in 1866, the last von Rau heir refused to enter the Prussian army and in 1871 he sold his entire possessions to the ambassadorial minister von Stumm, a member of the renowned industrial family Stumm of the Saarland. Stumm was imperial ambassador in Madrid and was raised to the hereditary nobility by Kaiser Friedrich.

The castle Rauischholzhausen was built between 1871-1875 and designed completely for representation. Luxurious detail is everywhere to be seen in its towers, gables, facades, ornate grilles and beautiful entrance portal.

The park’s English-style landscaping is largely adapted to the natural surroundings and contains almost 300 different kinds of trees and shrubs. Two brooks run through the park whose waters collect at several places to ponds. In 1945 the castle and park were handed over to the State of Hesse. The farming estate, built in the 16th century, had in
the meantime been given to the Kerckhoff Foundation of Bad Nauheim and was used by the University of Giessen for research purposes. Visitors should not miss a trip to the castle, the park and the farm - here you can find rest and relaxation.

go direct ...